Friday, May 4, 2012

Reflection on Undergrad

I figured it was time to sit down, remember, and reflect on the past four years.

I graduated from University of Michigan on April 28th (officially). If I'm honest with myself, I have not kept up with a blog/journal/notebook in my twenty-two years of existence. There have been times when I have tried...and failed. Whenever I travel, I do a pretty decent job of recording all the events I attend, food I try, places I visit, etc. However, I never sit and think about what I've learned. Heck, I rarely let myself sit. I am go, go, go all the time. However, it's a new chapter in my life and what better time than now to recognize everything that has shaped and changed me during my time at UM.

Overall, I have no doubt I have grown and matured. I have a better sense of who I am, my values, my desires, my shortcomings, my fears, my failures.

I have grown to understand my faith in Jesus and my sin and weaknesses.
I have grown to understand how peoples' perception of who I am affects my decisions.
I have grown to understand the way in which I can encourage others and love them.
I have grown to understand when I need to be more patient and understanding of others.

As a Freshman, I had no idea how much I would change. I wasn't completely naive; I knew I would grow and change to become the woman I am today but I had no idea how much I would be shaped by my college experiences.

Most notable:
-Asian Intervarsity Christian Fellowship (AIVCF)
:Small groups: I was taught what it meant to be humble in bible studies. As a Freshman coming in, I remember thinking I knew everything. I would realize how foolish that was. It takes a lot of drive and ownership from all parties to build a "good" small group, one that truly feels like a family.
:Urbana09: I learned more about God's heart for missions and justice here. I was called to do missions here. I learned about righteous anger and how I can have that.
:Compelling Conferences: I built a stronger bond with individuals in my fellowship. I was trained here.
:Prayer Group: I have never been as vulnerable as I have been with my prayer group. I learned what it meant to pray for others, to love others, to have a heart of compassion, and to confess my sin.
:Class of 2012: I learned what it means to be unified. Everyone was so different but it still worked. At the end of the day, I loved each and every one of them and wanted the best for them.

Asian American Association (AAA)
:Board Meetings and Bondings: It takes a lot to run an organization. There is a lot of planning and necessary preparation. I also learned how to step up, when to step up, when to sit back, etc. It was also good to see different dynamics between peoples' personalities.

UM Housing Staff
:RA experiences: Two years living at Markley as an upperclassman definitely shaped my college experience. I think I got a better sense of Freshmen as an upperclassman because of my RA status and interactions with younger residents.
:Staff bondings: I loved Markley Staff. Yes there were cliques and moments in which I wanted everyone to stop acting like it was high school but overall, I liked everyone (few exceptions). I got along with everyone and knew that in the worst of moments, others had my back.
:CLE: This was an time for epic staff bonding.
:Eventful Duties: Because of my Duty, I know I can handle anything. People will respect you if you act like you know what's going on too. Confidence is 95%. the other 5% is actually knowing.

Global Intercultural Experience for Undergraduates (GIEU): Working in Grenada with the Roving Caregiver's Programme was one of the best experiences of my Undergraduate career. Not only did I have an awesome team to hang out with and experience new things, but my eyes began to open up about the world and how things are very different compared to America.

:Synergy Ministries Missions: Ghana was an experience I'll never forget. My first consulting experience, my first missions experience. I loved it all. I loved my team, the children, working with BASICS. I fell in love with Africa.

:Target Internship: While I gained a lot of business experience, I also learned what it means to be a college student with no responsibilities and no stress. I learned how to manage up with my manager, how to work hard, and act in a professional environment. I also learned how to party hard, and how to truly unwind after work.

My undergraduate carer at the University of Michigan is not one that can be replicated. I was challenged to grow, to become a woman. I had my ups and downs in my walk with God but know that He is always there. I recognize my shortcomings and have definitely chilled out a lot. I have learned that it is not worth stressing out over everything because there is a time and a place to worry about something.

I learned who I am. Forever and always, Go Blue!

No comments:

Post a Comment